Sunday, December 20, 2009

Black Bean Soup


The first time I went to the church in North London, I got a newsletter that had a fantastic recipe for black bean soup, from a girl named Josie. I made a few modifications (dried black beans are so hard to find in these parts. Also, the original recipe calls for cumin and I am no fan of cumin.) Now this is a favorite. I know cilantro is not everyone's cup of tea, so you can leave it out if you fall in that category.

Ingredients:
1 onion, cut
4-5 cloves garlic
2 T olive oil
1/4 cup jalapenos, diced (Sometimes this amount makes the soup really spicy, sometimes it's mild. You may want to adjust depending on the heat of the peppers and your preference.)
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/4 bunch fresh cilantro
2 cans black beans
3-4 cups vegetable broth

Heat oil in a heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook for a few minutes. Add garlic and jalapenos, saute for about five minutes.

Add everything but the fresh coriander and salt and pepper (beans, broth, etc.). I don't drain the beans. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover and simmer for about two hours, stirring occasionally.


Wash the cilantro and add to the soup. Puree and season to taste with salt and pepper.



Can be served with lime wedges, sour cream or cheese. The soup can be prepared in advance and reheated.


1 comment:

AM said...

This almost looked like my dream soup. Please don't try and trick me and serve it con cilantro. It'll traumatize my mouth. I sound like such a bossy dinner guest. Make me this! Leave this out! How much do you taste the extract?
I'm sure I'm driving my mom crazy right now. Except! She had a whole tray of chocolate peanut-butter chip cookies waiting for us!
Did I ever tell you how Julie (now married to Adam Franks) and Marisa gave me the ingredients to make those cookies - eggs and all - for my birthday present. I was so happy I almost cried til I realized they wanted me to share.