Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Saag Paneer (Curried Mustard Leaves with Cheese)




A few weeks ago a friend imported some Mother India's Cafe (MIC) curry for us. (She brought it on the train from Glasgow.) So delicious. Now, I'm not pretending that this is a recipe that is going to substitute for delicious curry. But it gets me by between such treasured imports.

I complain about how hard it is to get certain food in this neck of the woods. Like black beans or unbaked tortillas or even decent dried chilies. Ah, but one thing we do have on our doorstep is the ingredients that an unambitious craver of curry needs to throw together something to eat. Saag Paneer seems to be the curry I miss most often, so here's a recipe that Niall gave me.



Ingredients:
227 g Paneer Cheese, cut into cubes
450 g (10.870 oz.) can of Saag (curried mustard leaves)
1 1/2 to 2 cups frozen Spinach (cooked and drained)
1 medium onion, diced
3-5 cloves of minced garlic
2-3 Tablespoons of curry paste (I used Korma this time)
Salt to taste
Oil (I used olive oil, but vegetable would probably be better)

In a large skillet, drizzle the oil and heat the pan. Place the Paneer in the skillet. By the way, I don't know if Paneer should be capitalized, but I'm trying to give it the respect it deserves.



Brown the Paneer on both sides and remove it from the skillet. I put it in a bowl to cool.


If needed, add some more oil to the pan. Add the onions and allow them to saute for a minute or two. Add the garlic and cook with onions until the onions are translucent. Add the saag and spinach and stir. Then add the curry paste and stir into the mixture. Allow the curry to simmer for about 10 minutes. Taste and add more curry paste and salt as needed.


When the curry is acceptable enough (remember, we're not talking MIC acceptable here) add the Paneer. Allow the Paneer to heat through (several minutes) and then serve with Basmati rice.



1 comment:

LaModernGirl said...

Wow, first there was ambertines blog where I could learn about all things, hip, cool and happening... and now there's mitch and niall's blog where i can learn about food i never knew existed! Paneer & Saag? sounds like a Penn & Teller duo. I thought for sure that Paneer cheese would go "nacho" on you if you heated it, but no... thanks to your photos, I have learned something new! Love the blog.
p.s. i'm too lazy to capitalize. mine is sporadic like my church attendence.