Thursday, December 3, 2009

Stir-Fry with Pak Choi



When I was at the store there was a package of pak choi that looked so lovely that I had to purchase it. I wasn't sure what to make. I am not one for setting a lot of goals these days. But, I would like to learn to shop like a TV chef. They cut things so quickly, like they're in a big hurry and mean business. So, in order to get in some cutting practice I made a stir-fry. The recipe is adapted from daemonsfood.com.

Ingredients
2 tablespoons sesame oil
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 inch fresh ginger
1/2 onion, diced
3/4 cup carrots, chopped
1 zucchini (or courgette in these parts), chopped
1/2 pound pak choi, chopped
1 crown of broccoli, stem removed and florets quartered
8-9 fresh mushrooms, chopped
2 tablespoons soy sauce (or more)
1 1/2 teaspoons Asian chili paste
Nanami Togarashi* to taste
1/4 cup water


I find it best in a stir-fry to get everything ready before cooking. Chop the vegetables (here's where the business-like cutting practice comes in.)


Zest about an inch of fresh ginger


Heat the oil in a wok and add the onions and carrots.


Stir fry for three minutes, and add the garlic. Cook for about 15 seconds, then add the rest of the vegetables. Stir-fry for about one minute, until coated with oil and beginning to wilt, and add the rest of the ingredients. Cook, stirring, until the water evaporates, about two to three minutes and the ingredients are well seasoned. Taste and season as necessary. Remove from the heat and serve with rice.


*Nanami Togarashi is a chili pepper spice blend with seven different ingredients, but you probably already knew that. We got it at a Asian supermarket. I hadn't heard of it until Brigham wrote about it in this post. I think it's delicious.

No comments: