Monday, January 4, 2010

Chocolate Cupcakes with Marshmallow Topping


I wanted Betty Crocker cake. But, once again, the store was too far. And I've never bought a cake box mix in the UK so I'm not even sure what they have. Instead, I did a search for "Easy Chocolate Cupcakes" and settled on the recipe from Corpus Bon Vivant. I was particularly interested in the marshmallow topping because marshmallows aren't usually vegetarian friendly and this one is.

I followed the recipe except I used white sugar, did not use the espresso, used larger cupcake tins (so only made eight cupcakes) and ended up having to cook the cupcakes for 30 minutes instead of 15.


Checking the temperature of the sugar and water for the marshmallow topping.


Egg whites with salt:


Once the sugar syrup is added the egg whites really do go glossy! The marshmallow topping was quite sweet, pretty similar to seven minute icing.


Even with the pretty topping, the cupcakes ended up being mediocre. Maybe it's the espresso that makes all the difference. Next time I'm in the mood I think I'll try for the Betty Crocker mix!

No comments: