Sunday, January 31, 2010

Fennel with Mozzarella


Sometimes I buy food just because I don't really know what it is. This week it was fennel. I think I've eaten it before, but I've never cooked with it. I read a few Italian cookbooks for ideas. Niall suggested The Silver Spoon. This recipe is mostly butter, egg and cheese. So it's not like it's a healthy use for fennel. But I liked it. I think I'll try using fennel again.

I didn't have much fennel, so the recipe is quartered.

Ingredients
1/4 kg fennel bulb
8 grams (1/4 ounce...basically a pat) butter
50 grams mozzarella cheese
1 egg
50 ml double cream (I used milk)
10 grams (1/4 ounce) Parmesan cheese, grated
1/4 fresh flat-leaf parsley sprig, chopped (I didn't use parsley)
salt and pepper

Wash and trim the fennel. (The fennel I got from the grocery store was already clean.) Boil in a pot for 45 minutes until tender. (I think I boiled the fennel for too long.) It smelled so good cooking!
Drain the water and let the fennel cool. Heat the oven to 325 degrees F. When it's not too hot to handle, cut it in thin slices. In a skillet, heat the butter and then add the fennel. Saute until browned.
Grease a pie dish and add the fennel. Cover with the mozzarella and Parmesan.


In a separate container, whisk the egg and milk. Pour the mixture over the fennel and add salt and pepper. Place the dish in the oven and bake until browned. (About 30 minutes.)

Remove from the oven and serve immediately.






No comments: