Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Mamma Driggs' Buttermilk Syrup


Okay-this guy?

One of the nicest people ever. Once we took a trip out to visit his family and his mom made an amazing caramel syrup for pancakes. Thanks goodness the niceness runs in the family because his mom gave me the recipe.

I really wanted a sundae and didn't think I had a recipe for caramel sauce. I called my mom and she suggested Mamma Driggs' Buttermilk Syrup. (It has become a favorite in our family. I mean, with butter and sugar, how could it not be?) Nicely done. I thought it was only for pancakes. I was wrong. It's great with ice cream. We didn't need much, so I halved the recipe. The one below is for the recipe in its entirety.

Ingredients
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cube (1/2 cup or 100 grams) of butter
1 Tablespoon light Karo syrup
1/2 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup buttermilk (we didn't have any, so I used milk with vinegar)

Mix all the ingredients except the vanilla in a saucepan.


Stir, bringing to a boil. Continue stirring while the syrup boils, for about five minutes.


The syrup will turn a light brown.


Remove from heat and add the vanilla.


It's ready to serve. Delicious on ice cream, decadent on pancakes or french toast.





1 comment:

AM said...

STOP! This is the recipe I've been waiting for! I wanted to drink this stuff!