Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Squash Squares


Remember how I have been tricking myself into eating vegetables by mixing them with other less-healthy-but-delicious-to-me ingredients? Well, the trend continues with the Squash Squares from Monster Guide.

My mom came for a visit and was nice enough to bring me a box of Triscuits. (I crave them and can't get them in these parts.) The box traveled 3,000 miles, over an ocean and three (four if you count England and Scotland separately, which I think I'm supposed to) countries so it wasn't too surprising the box got smashed. I didn't want to waste a precious morsel so I looked for a recipe that has Triscuit crumbs. Also, Niall keeps buying butternut squash, so the Squash Squares seemed perfect.

This recipe scared me a little because I had not idea what it would look like or how it would taste. I'm not sure the end result is as it's supposed to be, but it turned out okay. I would make it again if I had squash and Triscuit crumbs just waiting to be put to use.



Ingredients

2 eggs
3 cups Butternut squash
3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup of Triscuit crumbs
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 cups cheese (I used half cheddar, half mozzarella)
~1/4 cup of freshly grated Parmesan (I used slightly less)

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Peel and seed the squash, cut into small (about 1/4 inch) squares. In a skillet, heat the oil and begin sauteing the onion.


When the onion is translucent (3-4 minutes) add the garlic and the squash. Continue cooking until the squash starts to soften (about 10 minutes), stirring as needed.

While the squash is cooking, combine the other ingredients (except for the Parmesan) in a separate bowl.

When the squash has started to soften, remove the skillet from the heat. Add the mixture of cheese and crackers and combine with the squash.


Grease a 9x13 pan and press the squash mixture into it. Grate the Parmesan on top.

Bake for 30 minutes until the squash is set and the cheese is browned. (It smelled really good baking.) Remove from the oven and allow to cool 10-15 minutes before cutting into squares and serving.




No comments: