Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Chicken Stock


I think homemade chicken stock is amazing.  So, after roasting a chicken, if I get around to it, I make a stock and freeze it for later.

Ingredients
Chicken carcass
Water
Vegetables (carrot, onion, etc.)
Leftover gravy

In a large pot, combine the carcass of a roasted chicken, water (maybe about five cups?) and vegetables. (I usually add the onion and garlic used to stuff the chicken when roasting and perhaps a few carrots or celery.)


Bring the pot to a simmer and let it cook for about 30 minutes.  (To be honest, I probably leave it for about an hour just because I get lazy.)

When the chicken has simmered, place another pot (or heat safe bowl) under a strainer and pour everything into the strainer.  The bottom pot will collect the stock.  If there is meat left on the carcass and you want to save it, allow the chicken in the strainer to cool before handling. (I usually allow at least 15 minutes.)


Pick through the carcass and remove any usable meat.  Discard the bones, cartilage, vegetables, etc.  I usually combine the chicken stock and usable meat, along with any leftover gravy, in a plastic bag.  (Make sure the stock has cooled enough for the plastic bag.)  I freeze the stock and use it later, typically to make soup.

No comments: