Saturday, February 20, 2010

Crock Pot Marinara Sauce


I am a fan of slow cooked marinara sauce.  When I saw the recipe from Culinary Cory  I wanted to give it a try.  Rather than simmering the sauce on a stove, it calls for a slow cooker, which sounds brilliant to me.  I made a few adjustments (smaller batch, whole plum tomatoes, dried basil instead of fresh, no vinegar and ever since Niall's bad experience with dodgy pine nuts we don't keep them in the house, so used some green pesto instead.)

Ingredients

2 cans (400 grams or 14.1 ounces each) plum tomatoes
8 cloves garlic, peeled
1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
1 teaspoon green pesto
sea salt
pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon crushed red chili seeds

In a blender, pulse all the ingredients for about 30 seconds.  Add to the crock pot and cook for two hours.

1 comment:

LaModernGirl said...

I love crockpot spaghetti sauce... I throw in some frozen meatballs from Trader Joes too and they are so awesome... although Mitch would probably never use frozen meatballs. I like shortcuts.