Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Small Batch Boudin Brownie Recipe


For whatever reason, I have yet to make good brownies in the UK. I always felt fairly confident in the US, but not so now. I'd almost given up, because the past few attempts have been so horrible (usually undercooked). This was the best attempt so far, though I overcooked them. I cannot figure out why I can't get the cooking time right.

Despite my track record, I really wanted brownies*. And Cookie Madness just posted this brownie recipe. It looked delicious. And I really like how the recipe is written, so clink on the hyperlink to find the details.

I want to say I followed Anna's recipe exactly, but did end up making a few modifications. I used a round pan, not a square one. We didn't have bittersweet chocolate, so I used half semi-sweet and half baking chocolate. Also, rather than using 2 1/2 eggs, I used three egg whites (left from another recipe) and an egg.

Ingredients
1 stick unsalted butter (1/2 cup/4 oz/100 grams)
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate (or 2 ounces semi-sweet and 2 ounces unsweetened)
2 1/2 large eggs (or 1 egg plus 3 egg whites)
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 tablespoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cups flour
1 cup pecans (I didn't toast them)

I can't find baking chocolate (100% unsweetened) here, so usually buy a supply when I go to the US. But I'm still on the look out.

Preheat the oven to 375 F. Melt the butter in a sauce pan, add the chocolate and remove from the heat. Stir until the chocolate melts.

In a stand mixer (if possible) add the eggs and sugar and mix for 5-7 minutes. I mixed for 7 minutes. Then pour in the chocolate mixture, then the salt, then the vanilla.

Mix the flour in by hand, then add the pecans. (I crushed most of them for the dough, kept a few whole ones aside for the top.)

Grease tinfoil and place it in a 8 inch pan. Square would be better, but we only have round. Pour in the batter and top with the pecans. Place in the oven and bake for 38-40 minutes.

I don't know what I did wrong, but the brownies got overcooked. I baked for 39 minutes and the sides had browned too much and the top cracked. I placed the brownies in an ice bath for about 30 minutes, so it did cool the brownies to stop them from cooking anymore. Maybe next time I should lower the temperature by 25 degrees?

Remove the brownies from the pan (the greased tinfoil makes it so easy!), cut and serve.





*When I say I wanted brownies, what I mean is brownies were the only thing I could possibly eat for breakfast and for lunch.  Nothing else would do.

2 comments:

AM said...

i love love love overbaked brownies! And i like the tin foil but does it serve another purpose other than fast clean up? like it makes it more delicious?

niall and mitch said...

Foil helps w/the clean-up and makes it easier to get brownies (or bars) out a pan to cut them. But I don't think it makes it more delicious.