Thursday, February 18, 2010

Spanakopita


When did I learn that Greek spinach phyllo triangles were called Spanakopita?  Oh, in September of last year.  Lately it seems I forget more than I remember.  So, in honor of learning the name and still remembering it, I decided to make some five months later.  I used a combination of recipes, but mainly used Annie's Eats.

I wanted to make a simple filling, mainly feta, nutmeg and spinach.  And I purchased phyllo dough.  Makes 18 pieces.

Ingredients

12 ounces frozen spinach, cooked and drained
12 pieces phyllo dough
5 Tablespoons butter, melted
1 Tablespoon olive oil
200 grams feta cheese (about 7 ounces)
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 egg
1 medium yellow onion, diced

Cook the frozen spinach and drain thoroughly.   I heated the spinach in a saucepan and then used a strainer and a wooden spoon to push out the excess liquid.


Heat the oil in a skillet.  Add the onion and saute until translucent.


In a separate container (I used the spinach saucepan, but a bowl works as well) mix the drained spinach, egg, cheese and nutmeg.

I purchased frozen phyllo dough and let it thaw.  Wet a large tea towel to keep the phyllo moist, put the phyllo on the towel and cover with plastic wrap to prevent the dough from drying.


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Get a piece of phyllo dough and put it on the work surface.  Use a pastry brush to apply the butter.  Add another piece of phyllo dough and brush with butter as well.  Divide the phyllo into three long strips (I used a pizza cutter.)  Add a generous Tablespoon of the spinach mixture to the bottom corner of each strip.


Fold each strip into triangles (diagonally) like one folds the American flag.


Place on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.  Remove, allow to cool for a few minutes, and serve.   I froze most of them (uncooked) to bake later. 



No comments: