Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Peach Cobbler Crumble Cupcakes


The fruit shop down the road has really lovely peaches.  So when I saw the recipe from Land O' Lakes Recipe Buzz Blog for Peach Cobbler Coffee Cake I bought a bunch of peaches and let them ripen.  Oh, I love a fresh peach.  The original recipe calls for canned peaches, so I think it will be sweeter.

I halved the recipe, substituted creme fraiche and milk for the sour cream, made cupcakes and used the fresh peaches.  I also skipped the glaze because I thought the crumble would be sweet enough.  My version is listed below.  Overall, I really liked this recipe and will use it again.  (I loved how the batter tasted.)  But, I put in fairly large peach pieces and the cupcakes separated when we ate them.  Next time I'll cut the peaches into smaller pieces and mix them directly into the cake.

Ingredients

Filling
1 1/2 fresh peaches

Topping Ingredients
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened

Cake Ingredients
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup creme fraiche (I used the reduced fat)
2 Tablespoons milk (I used 2 %)
1/2 Tablespoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

Heat oven to 350°F.   Pour boiling water over the peaches and let sit for about a minute to loosen skin.  Peel the skin and remove the pit.  (I overestimated and peeled three peaches, only using 1 1/2.)


Stir together all crumble ingredients in medium bowl with a fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; set aside.


Combine sugar and butter in large bowl. Beat until creamy. Add eggs, creme fraiche, milk and vanilla. Continue beating, scraping bowl often, until well mixed. Add all remaining cake ingredients. Continue beating, scraping bowl often, until smooth.

At this point I would suggest cutting the peaches into small pieces and mixing into the batter.  I didn't and regret it!



Line 12 muffin tins.   Divide the cake batter between the cups.  Sprinkle with topping. Bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes and serve!

No comments: