We had a few pieces of furniture left from our house in Cardiff. I loved each one, and we tried to make them work for the house. But, after a year of trying, we finally gave up and called defeat.
I mean, we tried. Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or sell it an buy something that works. So, step one for Operation New Wardrobes was Gumtree listings for the furniture!
We want to put some storage in the room that will last long term. Right now the two little girls don't need much wardrobe space, but that will soon change. I saw a blog post where Meg and the Martin Men took an Ikea Pax wardrobe frames and had a frame built to make the storage look more custom. It seemed like a good fit for what we need. (Doesn't it look great?)
Even the basic Ikea wardrobe frames are pricey (£65 each.) Plus the doors and components make what we're aiming for about £800 just for the stuff from Ikea. In case you're wondering, that's way too expensive for us. As per usual, I spent weeks. I hunted high and low, posted WANTED ads, ended up doing silly haggling and hauling and we're to this point: Three frames, with the components, plus some doors that need some TLC. Factoring in the proceeds from the furniture we sold, we're at a total spend of £65. Way more complicated, but a lot easier on the budget.
Over the next little while I'll work on the doors, which need paint, and then I'll attach and secure the wardrobes. And a bit down the road we'll get the carpenters to come in and do their magic to make these beauties look a little less Swedish Superstore and a little more bespoke. In the meantime, Niall and I are pretty much experts at the assembly of PAX wardrobe frames. Natch.